PLANNING PERMISSION - Fences, Gates & Garden Walls

We often get asked this very common question...

"How high can my fence be?"

"Is there anything I can do to make it higher?"

You will need to apply for planning permission if you wish to erect or add to a fence, wall or gate and:

  • it would be over 1 metre high and next to a highway used by vehicles (or the footpath of such a highway); or over 2 metres high elsewhere; or

  • your right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates is removed by an article 4 direction or a planning condition; or

  • your house is a listed building or in the curtilage of a listed building.

  • the fence, wall or gate, or any other boundary involved, forms a boundary with a neighbouring listed building or its curtilage.

You will not need to apply for planning permission to take down a fence, wall, gate or to alter, maintain or improve an existing fence, wall or gate (no matter how high) if you don't increase its height. In a conservation area, however, you might need planning permission for relevant demolition in a conservation area to take down a fence, wall or gate.

To discuss any planning permission concerns or related questions please visit our contact page

MH Fencing Grimsby